Because of Winn-Dixie


Because of Winn-Dixie (2000) was written by Kate DiCamillo.  It is a fictional story that was a Newberry Honor Book. I chose this book to be a "time filler" during our pet unit.  The story focuses on the relationship between a young girl, Opal, and a stray dog, Winn-Dixie.  Together the two go on adventures in their small town.  

I read this book during breakfast, restroom breaks, early finish time before a special, snack, and the first little bit of nap time.  At the conclusion of each reading, I would ask various questions based on what we read.  For example, when Opal is asked what her dog's name is, she gets the name while in the local Winn-Dixie.  I would then open the discussion with my students about where they got their pets' names.  At the conclusion of the book, I asked the students which character Opal encountered was their favorite and why.  I, of course, gave my students a slight refresher on each of the characters.  To answer the question, they drew their favorite characters and what makes them their favorite.  

 

Comments

  1. A pet unit sounds like so much fun! This book is so sweet and I think it would go along great with the book "Shiloh." You could compare and contrast the animals and the people in the books. It could be an extension of the pet unit.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day

Charlotte's Web