Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?

 

This letter is written about Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? (1967) by Bill Martin Jr. illustrated by Eric Carle.  Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? won the International Reading Association and Children's Book Council Children's Choice Award in 1984 and the Parent's Magazine: Favorite Books of All Time August 2006.  This text is a fictional text that my students love.  Throughout the book, various colorful animals talk about what other animals they see.

I chose to read this book with my students as a method to not only have my students learn how to properly participate in read-alouds with repeated text but also to help with identifying students who struggle with color identification.  When the section of the book comes up about a purple cat, I would ask my students, "Are there really purple cats?"  "What do you think happened to make a purple cat?"  I would repeat these questions with the other animals and adjust as needed based on if the animals match the colors in the real world.  

You could also use this text to help students learn to identify between real and fake animals, as well as expand on building their creativity.  

Comments

  1. Classic book! My son has memorized it because we read it so often. I love the large illustrations and repetition throughout the book. You provided great questions to help young readers build their background knowledge about imagination with animals vs. facts about what animals look like.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day

Charlotte's Web

The Magic Tree House: Dinosaurs Before Dark